Trip to the tailor

Posted by: Letizia,

My trip to the tailor was planned to the finest detail, knowing that the fabric stores close at 1:30 and open again between 4:30 and 5:00 (nobody has been able to explain to me what they do during that time since all stores now have air conditioning so its not too hot to work!), I made sure to arrive as the stores were opening. This would ensure that I would have a relaxed shopping experience without worrying about lethargic sales people and crowds of people disturbing my long anticipated experience.

1st of all, finding the right fabric was an insurmountable challenge. They were either too this or too that, not enough this and not enough that. I was quite shocked at the lack of availability of what I had in mind. Having said this, I finally settled on a beautiful Italian made fabric, and instantly I began to feel the buzz...the adrenaline of the potential of seeing my vision through started pumping through my veins...oh the joy! But not so fast...the fabric wasn't long enough, so the gentleman serving me casually told me that he can have the full length delivered to my tailor that evening. One thing that has to be said about Dubai is that you can have anything delivered anywhere, and most of time for no additional charge!

Although this practice is commonplace, the sceptic in me refused to settle down so I attempted to put her at ease by asking as many questions as I could think of about the process and the level of guarantee.

I parted with my hard earned money, took all the contact details, perhaps the only thing I didn't get from him was a swab of his DNA! So I happily make tracks to the tailor with my design in hand - a combination of a Tory Burch and a Vivienne Westwood dress I saw on Net-a-porter. Halfway through my conversation with the tailor, giving him specific details about the fit that I wanted, I get the dreaded call! They have run out of stock at the warehouse and it will take an indefinite amount of time to ship the fabric to Dubai.

Horror of horrors! My second choice had to suffice so now its down to the fit! Wednesday is the reveal day....till then I anticipate my Bespoke experience with bated breath!